This was the week things went a little bit off the rails.
On Monday I noticed a bit of a strain in my left hamstring. Nothing major, but still quite concerning given I’m a month away from the marathon and these types of things have a way of getting worse before they get better.
I eased back on the mileage and slowed down the pace. Over the course of the week, I even considered ending my run streak and taking a few days off. I think it’ll be okay by race weekend, but I need to be very careful here for a bit.
- Monday: 5.2km to start the week. Things seemed fine here, but I noted a bit of a sore area in the hamstring.
- Tuesday: 6.1km tempo pace at 4:46/km average. This was likely a bad idea and after this run, I knew things were not getting better.
- Wednesday: 4.1km at easy pace to see where things were and and to rest and treat.
- Thursday: 3.7km easy and flat as the recovery continued. Things were not getting any better at this point, although it wasn’t getting worse, either.
- Friday: 1.8km just to keep the streak alive. I didn’t even break a sweat.
- Saturday: 2.1km super easy pace. Like mileage and lots of icing, massage and stretching was starting to show results.
- Sunday: 2.6km around the neighbourhood while the boys ran 32km downtown. This was the toughest mentally but I know 32km wasn’t possible.
A mere 26km for the week is not what I expected. The goal now is to get to the start with my body ready to run. If that means easy runs for a bit, then so be it. Same for the last 30km run scheduled for next Sunday. If that has to be shorter, then it’ll be shorter. It’s a drag, but that’s marathon training.