May was a very big month for me. On the first day, I turned 50. On the second day, I ran 50km. From there, I continued to build momentum over the first 31 days of the 2021 Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee.
Here’s the usual breakdown of how I’m doing against my annual goals.
- Become a daily runner and run every single day in 2021: It’s month five and the streak continues. There were 31 days in May, and I ran on all 31 of them. ✅
- Run more in 2021 than I have in any previous year (2,431.2km): I logged a total of 419km in May which is my second biggest month of running ever. That brings me to 1,632km for the year. 2,431km is starting to seem like a given and I could potentially hit that total sometime in August at this rate. ✅
- Reach and maintain Strava Fitness and Freshness score of >80: I had a peak score of 80 this month that I hit literally today. I started the month at 68 but the combination of the 50km run plus a big ramp up of weekly mileage has really paid off. Now to lift it a couple more points and hold it there for a bit.
- Run 50km in a single run, preferably on my 50th birthday: Last month I said it wasn’t going to happen on my birthday, and that I was planning to run it later in the year. Well, surprise! I ran it on May 2, along with the BMO Vancouver Marathon (virtual). I ran a PB of 3:30:37 for the marathon and then toughed out another 7.8km to finish the 50km in 4:28:33. ✅
- Revive, refresh and post regularly on my running blog: I posted four times this month which is just okay. I should be blogging more about GVRAT, but the mojo to write just isn’t there. ✅